Thursday, August 8, 2013

Our Home Off The Grid Venture..

Sitting patiently is not one of my strengths and doing absolutely nothing is not relaxing! Saying that, I have learned that while sitting in the woods in North Carolina with just the sounds from nature to be very relaxing. This is about the only place that I have patience to wait and wait. I have sat hours waiting for the owl to show his or her face. I know it is there because it announced it's presence. So relaxing, I fell asleep until awaken, not by an animal, but my glass of wine spilling onto my lap.

We have found an amazing 23 acres in Haywood County, NC. The house is entirely off the grid - we have solar, but no battery banks. We have wind, but it is locked 80 feet high. We have beautiful springs that fill our streams, but not our toilets. The house has been left open to Mother Nature for the past 10 years or so. So here starts our new adventure.

 There was a yurt located down from the house filled with goat soap making supplies. It took George and myself more than two days to clean and take apart. We now make trips into town to drop off trash and recycling - and they know we are coming!






 This is the road to our barn. You pass the solar panels on the way. These are not up and running yet. They were once upon a time.
Solar Panels Just Waiting to get to Work
Wind Power Ready to Blow

 This is the barn that originally housed the goats. We won't have goats, but hope one day to have our alpacas there. It would be so amazing to have horses. There are so many beautiful old logging trails that meander in and out of the property. Oh, the beauty of the Pisgah National Forest. To think my childhood was spent here and so eager to get away. Now, all I want is to get back home. Like James Taylor sings..."In my mind I'm going to Carolina...."





So, this fantastic team that we have assembled will be responsible for getting this house prepped for many years of fun to come. Funny, because right now I don't hear country music, I hear Joe Satriani's Always With Me, Always With You.
Team Leader (because he holds the machete)
Fabulous Team Members 
Picture Fall Colors
So, I have immersed myself into yet another journey. I think this will be another happy one. I am always grateful for what my life has brought me and what paths I have taken. So many wonderful things....and the little one's that weren't...thank you anyways.


Cheers!

Alicia

1 comment:

  1. I love the new property!!! I also can't wait to go up there this week and help clean it and get it running again!

    ReplyDelete