Thursday, February 28, 2013

What I consider a day off

Don't get me wrong, I love the store and it does afford me to get cleaned up and wear my nice clothes. I also get to socialize with creatures that answer back - sometimes intelligently, others not. But this is what enriches our lives. Our store is closed on Monday, so this is the day I get mundane things done around the farm. Herd management, breeding choices, ordering supplies and feed. Sorting and cleaning fiber. Honestly, sometimes this is the only time George and I get to talk farm without three little mouths interrupting us. As some of you know, we have three kids still at home - Gabriel (12), Zoe (11) and Haley (9). What they want to do at the farm and what we want them to do does not always go hand in hand. Where I was going with the quiet discussion moment, several years ago we got for George's birthday 4 different varieties of banana trees. As we were sat on our deck (which we built together) having lunch, I noticed one of his banana plants is preparing to bloom. Simple things like this entertain me!


This same day, I was sorting fiber and had opened one of the shelter doors to allow for more light. I did not realize my co-workers would find my fiber sorting of interest. Or simply was what was on the other side "greener". 


And for those of you who remember "Valentino", this is him the day after he was born playing around with a twig.


And, below, my partner and best friend, roughing it with "Valentino". This picture was taken February 25 - that would make "Valentino" 11 days old! He is quite strong and does not enjoy the trips to the scale. He plays continuously with "What's His Name" (born Dec. 27, 2012) and is actually giving him a run for his money!

This coming Monday will be a very different day for me on the farm. Charley Belcher with Fox 13 will be airing his morning show from our farm. This should make for an exciting day off!

No comments:

Post a Comment